For this new year, we're launching a new seasonal feature to list deadlines for residencies, exhibitions, conferences, calls for papers, jobs & basically all the different kinds of things you can apply that have a connection to China!
- Twenty Three Days At Sea, a residency on a cargo ship sailing from Vancouver to Shanghai.
- Apply before Monday, February 15
- - Performing artists (dance + theater), apply for a two month Red Gate Residency in Beijing in May and June. Deadline February 29.
- - Photographers, apply for a 10 week residency at i: project space in Beijing from July to September. Deadline March 31.
- - Writers, apply for a two month residency at IFP in Beijing from September to October. Deadline May 31.
- (Apply in English or German by sending your CV, letter of motivation, project proposal and work samples to email@example.com)
- Arc Space, a brand new residency in Beijing, is accepting proposals from experimental artists already based in China, Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan for its first five-week residency period in March & April.
- Apply before February 29
COMMISSIONS & EXHIBITIONS
- WMA Commission HKD$250,000 grant for new photo-based work on the theme of "identity" in Hong Kong.
- Apply before February 2.
CONFERENCES & SYMPOSIUMS
- i:project space, Open Ground & the Sishang Art Museum is calling for proposals from art researchers for the conference "Overwhelming Imagination: Achieving and Undermining Contradictions" held in Beijing on July 4-6.
- Submit before January 16.
- CCVA and Whitechapel Gallery in London is calling for abstracts & papers for "Making the New World: the Arts of China’s Cultural Revolution".
- Submit before February 1.
- Call for papers for the conference "Migration, culture, identity and scholarship: the role of 'the arts' in Sino-African engagements" held in Nairobi on August 17-20.
- Submit abstracts before February 15.
- Call for papers for the conference "Visualizing Chinese Borders in the 21st Century" held in Manchester on April 5-6.
- Submit abstracts before February 19.
- Register for TransCultural Exchange, held from February 25th to 27th in Boston.
- We'll be speaking on a panel, presenting a pecha-kucha & reviewing portfolios, drop us a line if you'll be there too!
JOBS & INTERNSHIPS
- Para/Site in Hong Kong is seeking a project coordinator.
- Apply before January 27.
- Art Asia Archive in Hong Kong is seeking a communications coordinator and interns for the spring.
- Apply (no deadline).
- The Foundation for Australian Studies in China (FASIC) in Beijing is seeking a research coordinator.
- Apply before February 1.
- Soundpocket in Hong Kong is hiring a programme leader and an editor/researcher.
- Apply before February 14.
- The Shanghai Project at the Himalayas Museum in Shanghai is hiring a managing editor and a production manager for exhibitions and public programs.
- Apply before February 28.
- HOCA is seeking studio and gallery interns in Hong Kong for an upcoming project with street artist Vhils.
- Apply by sending CV & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- i:project space in Beijing is seeking a part-time intern February through May.
- Apply by sending CV & cover letter to email@example.com.
- Flamingo Shanghai is looking for a writer to cover cultural content in Mandarin + English.
- Our annual Chinese New Year fundraiser is on February 7th, if you're in New York, please join us for a super fun Zine Dumpling Art Party! If you'd like to show/sell/swap a zine or indie publication, let us know ; )
- Get a ticket online in advance or at the door on February 7th.
We'll update this post regularly until March 20th, please send us your tips to nihao [at] chinaresidencies.com!